"I am no more optimistic about the future of jazz, as I am about the future of life, because, life is jazz." -Sonny Rollins-

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sonny Rollins transcriptions

Despite this being my first entry in my new blog, I decided not to bore anyone with any introductions and I get right to the point of my first entry:

Recently I really got into Sonny Rollins, especially his early period, his recordings with Bud Powell, Miles Davis, but also his recordings as a leader, since 1949 through late 1950's.

In addition, I have strained my forearm tendons, so as I cannot play, I did a lot of transcribing to spend my time practicing at least with my head and ears, if not with my fingers.

Therefore I am publishing these transcriptions of Sonny Rollins that I made, hopefully they will be helpful to someone, and I am looking forward to any comments or suggestions!
In the means of working with the transcriptions, I really advise everyone to go through the recording themselves and use the according transcription only as a guidance, to be able to really catch the essence of Rollins' playing.

Sonny Rollins - Denial
Sonny Rollins - Whispering
Sonny Rollins - On A Slow Boat To China
Sonny Rollins - Newk's Fadeaway
Sonny Rollins - Dig
Sonny Rollins - Bouncin' With Bud
All of these (except the last one) can be found on the Complete Prestige Box of Sonny Rollins (Denial, Whispering, Newk's Fadeaway, Dig on CD1; On A Slow Boat To China on CD2). Bouncin' With Bud is from an earlier session from 1949 with Bud Powell, Navarro, Potter and Blakey.

Take care!

Martin

1 comment:

  1. Hi! It would be great to reach your transcription of sonny's bouncing with bud. Thanks in advace

    sbenoo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete