"I am no more optimistic about the future of jazz, as I am about the future of life, because, life is jazz." -Sonny Rollins-

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Ben Webster - Where Are You

Ben Webster recorded his version in 1957 with Peterson's Quartet (with Herb Ellis, Ray Brown and Stan Levey), in a challenging key of E (F# for tenor). Despite this, he flows through the song with absolute mastery, emphasizing the original melody in both of his choruses, finally modulating half step up in the last A of the 2nd chorus,to finish the song in concert F, with a simple, but the more emotional cadenza.

In this simple song, Ben Webster manages to create a highly emotional atmosphere of lament - you can hear him crying, "Where Are You"...

This song can be found on Soulville (October 15, 1957), recorded on Verve label. It is one of the songs that you never get tired or listening to...

Lyrics:
Where are you
Where have you gone without me
I thought you cared about me
Where are you

Where's my heart
Where is the dream we started
I can't believe we're parted
Where are you

When we said good-bye love
What had we to gain
When I gave you my love
Was it all in vain

All life through
Must I go on pretending
Where is my happy ending
Where are you

1 comment:

  1. http://rapidshare.com/files/135998505/BeWeb1957S.rar

    ReplyDelete