"I am no more optimistic about the future of jazz, as I am about the future of life, because, life is jazz." -Sonny Rollins-

Friday, August 13, 2010

Sonny Rollins + Sonny Stitt Transcription

Transcribing (and then of course practicing the solos) is just one of the greatest learning material available. Fortunately, there are many softwares which slow down the track, so everyone is able to get even the smallest nuances in every solo. Even though it is a slow and sometimes painful process, I love how much it helps!


Today, I decided to transcribe the legendary recording, called The Eternal Triangle, from Dizzy Gillespie's album Sonny Side Up (1957), namely the battle of the tenors there - Sonny Rollins and Sonny Stitt. Each of the players plays his solo, and then they trade fours and then eights. Altogether their playing takes almost 9 minutes, it ends at 8:54. That's going to be a lot of pages...
Wish me luck, it is going to be the longest and I guess also the hardest most difficult transcription that I have ever done.
And when it is done... it is time to practice.

1 comment:

  1. http://rapidshare.com/files/185179727/Gillespie__Rollins___Stitt_-_Sonny_Side_Up.rar

    ReplyDelete